Pages

Sunday 17 February 2013

DOG SLEDDING!!!

Ever since Solid Snake said in Metal Gear Solid "I ride dog sleds, I'm a musher" I have really wanted to have a go at it. Bear in mind I first heard Snake say this in 1999. But I've never been in a part of the world where it's done and Snake, fictional character though he may be, lives in Alaska which is still very much on my to-visit list.



Sledding was one of the bookable excursions on this Canadian holiday though and was done through Cold Fire Creek Dog Sledding (Sundog Tours), who were excellent. Six sleds went out, each with six or ten Alaskan huskies pulling and we switched over so that we got a chance to mush and chill out (literally) in the sled. Funnily enough the toes got colder quickly when you were under all the blankets in the sled rather than when you were scooting through the snow because they were inactive in the sled and just became painfully cold. We did a 10km track and the dogs just could not wait to get going, all barking and jumping over each other with impatience.

Have a look at their promotional video:

No comments:

Post a Comment