Pages

Saturday 7 July 2012

Training for the Olympix

Well, maybe not training so much as eagerly anticipating it! I don't know about you, but this will be my only Mega this year, even though the UK is playing host to not one, not two but THREE Megas this year. Very exciting time for loads of us cachers who love public gatherings on a grand scale. I've only been to one Mega before, last year's Mega Wales in my old home of Swansea, but practically I can only get to Oxford out of the three Megas this year, which is fine because that's the one that excites me the most. You may be aware that the committee behind the Geolympix is also hoping to turn this from a Mega Event into a new type altogether, a travelling competitive event which will be hosted by a different country each time, much like the real Olympics. Groundspeak lackeys will be at the Geolympix and will assess whether this idea is feasible. I'm very hopeful - imagine being part of the first ever Geolympix?

With so much going on at the Geolympix, there just won't be time to do everything, which is a real shame. I'd love the do the huge circuits that will be up, but I won't have the time or the energy on the day (maybe I'll come back to them in time) and something tells me the weather won't be in our favour. Who knows; maybe it'll have picked up by then but this summer has been a total washout so far. So depressing!

Anyway, I am going to attempt this 11 icons in 11 hours thing. I hope it works. If it does I'll have to go back to BadgeGen and update my profile with new Earthcache, Wherigo, Mega, CITO, Webcam and Event badges! I'm looking forward to attending my first ever Flash Mob event (why are these not a type of their own?) I also hope to discover literally hundreds more geocoins and TBs. Not sure how to record the codes yet. I've been in the habit of scribbling down the numbers on bits of paper but that is time-consuming and leads to errors. Photograph them maybe? I like it best when owners of vast numbers of geocoins print off their codes on little paper lists so that admirers can just keep a piece of paper. If you are going to Geolympix this year and are bringing your trackables collection, please do this: I want to log your coins and bugs! I think for the first time I will bring along my small collection of coins (about a dozen or so plus two pathtags who people who log them) and I might make some trackables to leave up there. I will be brining my Geocaching Licence and my personal trackable dog tags. Hope to be able to log that elusive Cuckoo Cache too! Aah, I can't wait! Oh, and I will be buying Bronze, Silver and Gold geocoins!

6 comments:

  1. Geocaching licence? didnt know there was one!
    Thanks for the link to the cache mag - will investigate further

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you can get a really neat engraved "Licence" here: http://www.coinsandpins.com/geocaching-license?keyword=license&category_id=0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Button, looking forward to the next installment. Have to say my caching adventures are not as exciting as yours, but thats Southern England for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. See you at the Flash! 8am Sunday. We are doing 11 in 11 as well, so we will see you at the Wherigo and Letterbox outside Oxford :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Look forward to seeing you then. I'm heading up Saturday, staying in Bicester and coming back Monday. Going to the optional camping event Saturday night and going for oldest cache in England on Monday. Looking forward to taking on the 11 in 11 challenge. No idea how we'll do the Wherigo yet, but Theryougo.

      Delete
  5. No, that's Whereyougo - LOL

    There are Three different downloads for the Garmin. Load all 3 just in case, but I thyink we will pick the Geolympics one.

    See you in Banbury, Camnera at the ready....

    ReplyDelete