Pages

Saturday 10 March 2012

Hampshire Leap Day Event

It only comes once every 4 years, which is why colouring in that elusive 29th February square in our caching calendars is a pretty special moment! Groundspeak were keen to encourage geocachers worldwide to commemorate the date with either a cache find or an attended event and aimed to hit a new record for the number of found it/attended logs on one day. Well, unsurprisingly geocaching events sprung up on 29th February all over the globe, 44 of which were in the United Kingdom. I was delighted to find that there was one such event a mere 10 miles from home so of course I logged my "will attend" and prepared myself for a grand-scale event. Wow, what a turn out! Congratulations Bernie the Geocacher for hosting and cachers of the South of England for turning up and bringing an incredible 113 signatures to the log book (accounting for an incredible 170 odd individuals!). This was apparently the best attended Leap Day event in all of Europe - a proud moment indeed. That poor pub didn't know what hit it, but it seemed to cope marvellously and somehow housed us all upstairs in the function room. But my, how stuffy it was! Good thing I had cache details to hand so I could sneak out for half an hour or so to claim a find by torchlight. The event was great fun and will not be forgotten in a hurry; such a contrast to the mini-event I attended earlier in the same month in Madeira!

No comments:

Post a Comment