Pages

Wednesday 1 February 2012

Slower reviewing with Waymarking!

In July 2011 (i.e. half a year ago) I thought I would make a Waymark in Abu Dhabi, UAE. You can't normally publish caches abroad unless you go out there regularly, have someone local to perform maintenance or it's a an Earthcache or something, but a Waymark is not a physical container anyway so there's nothing to stop you making them anywhere in the world. This was in the days before Groundspeak conceived of their "Challenges" idea. I personally am not a big fan or follower of these challenges, although I can see the appeal. For me a challenge will always be a challenge cache (where you have to meet a requirement before going and finding a physical cache). I wish Groundspeak would recognise that these aren't puzzles or mysteries though and give them their own icon. Now that Challenge has been usurped I think something like "Quest" would have to come in.

Anyway, back to Waymarking. I'm not a huge fan of this either and I log places that I went to years ago for no real reason other than I get bored sometimes and end up searching for places I've been before. There's not the same sense of satisfaction in Waymarking. Anyway, I wanted to see how many countries I could get Waymarks in and found that one of my favourite destinations ever, the UAE, does not actually have any which I can claim, so I made one of my own with the intention of logging that! Well, why not? It's not quite as lame as logging a find on your own cache (that is something I would never do!) I created a Waymark at the race track where we went to see the Formula 1 and as I say, it's taken half a year for the powers that be to publish it! Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment