Pages

Saturday 21 January 2012

FTF Geocacher Pathtag

Today I received a pathtag in the post. Here in the UK, they don't seem to be all the rage like they are across the pond. They're mentioned in pretty much every issue of the world's first printed geocaching magazine, FTF Geocacher. I am an avid fan of this Texan publication even though most of the articles have a distinctive American spin on the hobby. I mean when am I going to have to beware of bears when I go caching? Our "cache 'n' dashes" are their "park 'n' grabs" though, which is simple enough to translate (although I think our phrase is catchier!)

I was quite surprised that my article would even be considered for an American-audience magazine when I was writing about my 500th find up a wind farm in rural Wales but to my delight it was there in print in Volume 1 Issue 5. Four issues later and I find that my editorial on self-coined "georienteering" has also been published. Well, orienteering is fantastic and geocachers are likely to enjoy the hobby so I thought I would use this platform to introduce more people to it. I have since submitted two more smaller bits and perhaps they will feature in the next issue? I just can't help myself! I like writing and sharing stuff, hence this blog, so even if no one else cares, I at least feel like I've managed to arrange my thoughts!

As a literal token of his appreciation, FTF Geocacher creator and editor Keith Petrus (ckpetrus) sent me a path tag in the post (sorry, mail) which is now amongst my treasured trackables collection. It's not a trackable, but it looks a bit like a little geocoin so that feels like a logical place to keep it! Thanks ckpetrus! I'm really glad you like my submissions. I shall try to rein in my enthusiasm though and let others get a word in edgeways! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment