Pages

Tuesday 20 May 2014

70 mile trek around the Isle of Wight!

As mentioned in a previous post, my friends and I had decided we'd like to set ourselves the challenge of walking around the Isle of Wight in three days and I decided I'd like to do it for a charity I'm keen to support, Crohn's and Colitis UK.


So here's a map of the island so that when I mention places they make sense! We came across from Southampton bright and early and kicked off the Friday at 8am in Cowes. We took the more standard approach of following the coastal path anti-clockwise so that the wind would be in our favour. As it was, there was no wind! The sun was out the whole time and to my mind it was a little too hot to walk in but better that than pouring with rain!


The walk from Cowes to Gurnard and beyond was nice and straight forward but then we had to cut inland a bit, still following the official coastal path, to get around the estuary at Newtown. This seemed to take forever! I was chuffed to be able to collect a couple of caches as we passed through the various towns and it made up for how muddy that particular stretch of the journey was!

So then we were able to meet the coast line again as we approached Yarmouth. This was a busy area and it was here I claimed my 2500th cache milestone. We stopped for a bite to eat then continued on in the late afternoon sunshine through Totland and up to one of my favourite places on the island, Alum Bay and the Needles.


Alum Bay is famous for its multicoloured sand as it's a geologist's dream. They make quite a trade in selling empty glass and plastic containers for people to fill with the various different coloured sands and I've done this on three occasions now.

Alum Bay

What made this trip to the Needles special was that it was totally empty of people. We were the only ones there and it was so very peaceful with just the sounds of wildlife and the odd distant buzz of a plane or boat. We were also up by the lighthouse and on Tennyson Down as the sun was beginning to set so the views were even more spectacular.

A glimpse of the lighthouse on the far west of the island

Sunset over Tennyson Down

We had to clamber to the top of this hill before descending the other side and then hurriedly finding our way through the town of Freshwater to our B&B for the night and after 26 miles of hiking, boy was I aching!

I was still hurting after a good night's sleep but there's no rest for the wicked and we were up and out straight after breakfast. We had another long walk ahead of us as we made our way from Freshwater round to Shanklin on the other side of the island. This day we didn't have the mud or detours away from the coast so much but the chines were enough to keep us going up and down like yo-yos. So many slopes and steps! Why did I pack so much?!

Looking back, you can just make out Tennyson Down

This walk was interesting for the fact that the recent bad weather has taken its toll on the west side of the island's coastal paths. We were precariously close to the cliff edges a lot of the time and fences had been moved back. Whole paths had crumbled and crashed to the beach below and it was clear that more were on their way! Best to keep as far away from the cracked soil as possible. Geological structure change is not something consigned to the past - it's happening all the time, and who's to say you won't be the one who is walking across the cliff when it decides to give way?!
Later in the afternoon we came to the southernmost tip of the island where St Catherine's lighthouse is situated. Halfway round at last and I have no idea how I'm still standing upright!


We continue onwards and through a really delightful narrow cliff-top coastal path past St Lawrence towards Ventnor. The early evening in late spring is a perfect time to be here when the sun is shining! The views are fantastic!

I like this type of walk!

Ventnor was quite busy and after walking through a wood for what felt like hours as the sun was disappearing, we emerged to see the lights of Shanklin and Sandown ahead of us! Quickly we made our way to our next B&B before the owners went to bed!


Our third and final day was the most straight forward. We just needed to climb the odd hill or steps but most of the time it was flat which I was extremely grateful for as my legs by this time were putting up a very firm protest at the notion of continuing!

Bembridge was the furthest east on the island we went and shortly afterwards we stopped for more food and to rest the legs.

Bembridge

Finally we pushed on and made it past the back of Queen Victoria's Osbourne House and enjoyed the view from Wootton Bridge before cracking on back to Cowes.

Wootton Creek

The first time I saw a sign pointing to Southampton, I could have cried with relief! The small chain ferry ("Floating Bridge") back to Cowes from East Cowes took a little while to return to us but thankfully it was in time for our ferry home to the mainland. 


I am very glad to be able to say I've done this walk now, and I really did enjoy it all but I don't think I'll be signing up for anything like this again in the near future! As long as I raised some awareness and money for Crohn's and Colitis UK (Not too late to sponsor me: www.justgiving.com/walk-the-wight) then I feel it was worth every step. The official route was 67 miles but what with recent diversions due to cliff falls and treks i and out of town to get to our B&Bs, I think 70 miles is more appropriate!

Not sure if I'll ever do something like this again. Perhaps my next ambition should be to take the island by bike? Now there's an idea...







No comments:

Post a Comment