Pages

Sunday 28 June 2015

Sponsored walk from Salisbury to Winchester

So last May I walked around the Isle of Wight for my chosen charity Crohn's and Colitis UK. At the time I both enjoyed it and struggled to find the enthusiasm to keep my feet moving. But as the time has worn on, I've felt enthused to have another stab at a long walk.



This time I decided to walk from Salisbury Cathedral to Winchester Cathedral for the same cause, most of this was along the Clarendon Way which was about 26 miles. This is quite a common walk to do for fundraising but I was keen not to join a herd but to do it with just a couple of close friends. It's also usual to walk from Winchester but again, I preferred to go the other way for logistical purposes.

At Salisbury Cathedral at 9:15am

Leaving Salisbury

On a rest break with my friends

We met at Winchester Cathedral where we left one car then drove to Salisbury and it was a mile's walk or so just to get to the Cathedral. From there we followed the Clarendon Way markers and enjoyed the sunshine which stayed out the whole way but became a little hot at times.

Roughly at the halfway point

Found a few caches along the way!

Time for another quick rest of the legs!

Funnily enough whilst I can eat and eat when sat down doing relatively little, whilst out walking I very rarely want to eat at all; drink maybe, but not eat! We stopped a couple of times to get a sandwich or small snack from a corner shop but never had a sit down meal.

One of the most picturesque parts of the walk

A rare sight: mud! Shame this was on the bit we didn't need to do!

9:35pm - Winchester Cathedral!

The journey got harder and harder as we became more weary, and especially when we followed the wrong marker and ended up going round in an unnecessary loop. Arriving at a junction and being able to say "I've been here before" bring about that sinking feeling. Still, we persevered and towards the end we were grateful that it was all downhill from Crabwood into Winchester city centre. It took us 12 hours and 20 minutes to complete the walk. We started at 9:15am at Salisbury Cathedral and we got to Winchester Cathedral at 9:35pm. I had a painful left leg for a few days and blisters on both feet but it was worth it for being able to raise over £500 (+ gift aid!) for Crohn's and Colitis UK! Not too late to sponsor me through JustGiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment